Visa, Entry and Residence

Get yourself familiar with visa, entry and residence requirements. Check this FAQs on visa as well as information provided in the OeAD databaseThe EM CDE Student Handbook provides you with guidance on steps-to-do for pre-arrival arrangements and first things to do upon arrival in Salzburg, at the University of Salzburg (PLUS). 

Your prime contact should be the visa authority, Austrian Representations, in your country of residence.

Check admission to studies at a higher education institution. Entry and Residence in Austria for Nationals of Third Countries.

Participants in Erasmus+ projects staying in the destination country for more than three months need a long-stay visa and/or a residence permit before travelling. A short-stay visa is not the appropriate authorization when the stay exceeds three months.

Clarify if you are entitled to submit your application ‘residence permit student’  in Austria. A Schengen (travel visa) to be able to enter Austria will be required, though.

Your passport should be valid for your entire stay, and be aware of schedules concerning your personal visa application, housing and travel arrangements.

Apply for a residence permit.
Then apply for a Schengen (travel visa) to be able to enter Austria.

This must generally be submitted in person at the competent Austrian representative authority (embassy, consulate general) in your country of residence.

Good to Know

If the residence authority in Austria decides to grant you with a ‘residence permit student’, you have to apply for a Visa D at the representative authority to be able to enter Austria, see more.

Visa types ‘Visa D’ is the (national) Schengen visa allowing you to enter and stay in Austria for a certain period of time. In combination with a valid travel document it entitles the visa holder to move freely across the other Schengen states’ territory for up to 90 days within a period of 180 days, see more.

How long?

The academic year at PLUS starts in October, we expect students to arrive Mid-September. An application for housing from Mid-September to Mid-July shall be submitted to student houses. The first week in July students shall attend the GI_Forum conference in Salzburg, and then will move on to either their internship or to the specialization track university.

latest update: June 3, 2019