Internship (work placement)
(1) As part of the MSc CDE programme, students must complete a compulsory internship related to the programme comprising 8 weeks, which is comparable to full-time employment and corresponding to 12 ECTS points. The internship should enable students to use the knowledge and skills they have gained during their studies.
(2) The internship is to be completed at a university where less than one full semester of study is being completed, or at a non-university MSc CDE programme partner, or at another institution pre-approved by the responsible body. Pre-approval of the internship and the selected institution is required and must be granted by the responsible body.
(3) Students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses will be supported in the completion of their internship by the University (Office of the Rectorate for Disability & Diversity). Should the requirements of potential internships be rendered impossible to fulfil due to architectural and/or structural barriers, students with disabilities and/or chronic illnesses will be given the opportunity to complete this part of the curriculum in a different form.
(4) An internship certificate issued by the host institution and serving as a basis for recognizing a completion of this requirement has to document these items:
- Institution and location where the internship has been completed.
- Timeframe / duration and workload (hours per week) of the internship.
- Description of assigned tasks and responsibilities.
- Written assessment of internship by supervisor at host institution.
As part of their internships, students can gain the following qualifications (among others):
- Ability to put the theoretical knowledge acquired in the field of study into practice in a professional context
- Acquaintance with different scenarios in which theoretical concepts can be used
- Acquisition of soft skills such as teamwork, communication skills, planning and organisational skills in a professional context.
- Familiarity with professional environments of Geoinformatics applications
The obligatory internship typically is conducted in blocked mode (1 or 2 periods) outside of course (semester) periods, but also can be completed as equivalent part-time activity.
latest update: December 11, 2018